The 340B Drug Discount Program is a US federal government program that enables covered entities to stretch scarce resources. Created in 1992, it requires drug manufacturers to provide outpatient drugs to eligible health care organizations and covered entities at significantly reduced prices, enabling them to reach more patients and provide comprehensive services within underserved populations.
Hover over the images below to see how the 340B Program and HCV rapid testing help your community.
See below to learn how the 340B Program and HCV rapid testing help your community.
Hepatitis C is the deadliest infectious disease in the U.S.
- Nearly 20,000 deaths per year1
- Up to 3 out of 4 people with Hepatitis C don't know they're infected2,3
- It adversely affects minority and underserved populations where access to diagnosis and treatment are scarce
Rapid testing provides the ability to reach these hard-to-reach populations that would not have received testing otherwise by enabling organizations to test within the community instead of depending on individuals to come to the facility.
Rapid testing provides the ability to reach hard-to-reach populations that would not have received testing otherwise
- Provides a simplified testing method for use in clinical and non-clinical settings
- OraQuick® HCV Rapid Antibody Test cuts down the window of time patients have to wait to receive their results to 20 minutes
- 98% of rapid testing patients receive their results in same visit while only 50% of lab-based results are delivered within 20 days4
- Enables HCV positive patients to be connected to care immediately
New FDA-Approved antiviral medicines can cure more than 95% of persons with Hepatitis C infection
- Reduces risk of death from liver cancer5
- Reduces cirrhosis4
- Minimizes new infection rates
The 340B Program can help launch and maintain sustainable testing and treatment programs
- Treatment cost-savings for Hepatitis C can be as much as $45,000/patient
- Cost savings gained can be used for anything directly involving patient care, including co-pays, charity care pharmacies, additional rapid tests, outreach programs, and staff support
- Additional resources enables healthcare organizations to reach more patients, continuing the cycle and providing healthcare support to all those who need it
By using the 340B cost savings to implement rapid testing programs, you are widening the possible reach of your facility and cutting down the window of time between detection and linkage to care. OraQuick® HCV Rapid Antibody Test requires 3-easy steps and delivers results within 20 minutes. Rapid testing also provides peace of mind to the patient as they receive their results same day while face-to-face with their health care provider, and saves valuable time and resources for follow-up calls.
The OraQuick Test is a simple 3 step procedure performed on a fingerstick specimen.
For more information visit www.OraSure.com/Request.
Does your organization also do HIV testing? Click Here.
1. CDC. Hepatitis C Kills More Americans than Any Other Infectious Disease, Press Release, May 4, 2016.
2. Chak, et al. Hepatitis C Virus Infection in the USA: An Estimate of True Prevalence. Liver International 2011; Vol. 31:1090-1101.
3. CDC. Hepatitis C Testing Baby Boomers Saves Lives. CDC Vital Signs May 2013.
4. Falade Nwulia, et al. Impact of Rapid Hepatitis C Testing on Receipt of Hepatitis C Results in a Public STD Clinic 2014. 21st Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections Poster Presentation.
http://www.natap.org/2014/CROI/croi_141.htm, accessed 07/07/15.
5. CDC. Hepatitis C, Fact Sheet, April 2017